Saturday, 27 April 2013

Chicken stock in the slow cooker

Chicken stock:
  • bones from the cooked and stripped chicken
  • a carrot
  • a celery stick
  • an onion
  • a bay leaf
  • pepper corns
I placed everything in the slow cooker, covered all the ingredients in water and switched on the the slow cooker and went to bed.
In the morning I strained the stock to remove all the pieces and froze the stock in ice cream containers.

Top Tip
Sometimes when I make stock I reduce the liquid down so that it is about a third of the original amount, I leave it to cool and pour it into ice cube trays and then freeze, that way when you need stock you can drop a cube into a dish that you are cooking, just like you could with a shop bought stock cube.

This recipe can be adapted with any flavours and spices, bones from other meats can be used, different combinations of vegetables and different flavour palettes (e.g ginger, garlic and soy to make a Chinese style stock).

Happy baking
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment