Saturday, 27 April 2013

slow cooker chicken


Slow cooker chicken:
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 lemon
  • salt and pepper
The first thing I did in my slow cooker was a chicken.

  • I stuffed garlic under the skin and shoved a lemon in the cavity, then placed the whole chicken in the slow cooker pot (it was a tight fit) 
  • I added salt and pepper then switched it on, no liquid added! 
Four hours later with the slow cooker on high I had a beautifully moist cooked chicken. The skin was not crispy like a roast and looked a lot less appealing, so I removed this an saved it for the stock pot. apparently there is a lot of fat in the skin so maybe its a good thing that we didn't eat it.
There was a lot of juice in the bottom which contained the fat the came out of the chicken I poured it into a fat separating jug and left it to settle so that I could easily discard the fat and be left with the cooking juices for gravies or stocks. You can save this fat to roast potatoes or vegetables in.


I served the chicken with veg, potatoes and gravy on the first night. The next day the OH had chicken sandwiches for a pack-up (which he told me the chicken was really moist still), and I froze the remaining chicken for another day. 

This recipe, like most slow cooker recipes can be easily adapted and I recommend experimenting. If there is a certain recipe/flavours that you would use to do a normal roast chicken, try that. 

Happy baking
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment