Monday, 27 May 2013

Preventing mould on fruit and veg

I buy most of my fruit and vegetables from pur local farm shop or the coop, and even though I am very happy with the quality of the food, I have a little trick which makes the food last longer, and prevents mould from growing.

Simply fill the kitchen sink with cold water 2/3 full and add 1/2 a cup of vinegar and stir around, then add all of our fruit and vegetables.



Then leave to soak for half an our. I then take the plug out, let the water drain away and leave them to dry slightly in the sink, then when I've got a spare moment i put them all away as usual, either in the fruit bowl, fridge or cold store.

As you can see I wash everything this way, soft and hard fruits and vegetables alike, even berries.
The vinegar not only cleans the food of the 'nasties' we are all told to wash off before eating, it also removes any yeast or bacteria that is already on the surface of the fruits and vegetables, this slows down the mould growth, because it has to start all over again.

Berries washed this way last up to two weeks!

I was thrilled to discover this method of washing the vegies, as I often had to throw things away because they went bad before I had managed to use them.

This also means, that at the market when they sell off older goods for a good price, I will go for the bargain, knowing I can wash it in vinegar and extend its shelf life.



Happy cooking
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment