So hear goes nothing.
Step one, find a suitable container, many people suggest kilner jars. But in truth anything large enough and water tight will do. Something big enough to hold a litre as a minimum and I find that clear is helpful so that you can tell when the sour dough as doubled in size (thus ready to use). I am using a lunch box that was already in the cupboard so didn't need to buy anything in particular. 1 litre capacity yogurt pots are great also.
The thing to get your head around is to weigh your water, same weight water as four, so use 50g of four and 50g of water. You cant add a table spoon if each as that will give you too much water. If you like to use measuring cups to make things simpler ( I use a measuring cup so I don't have to get my scales out each time), you will need to use half the amount of water to flour e.g. 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of water.
Lots of sour dough recipes say to start, then not feed until the fermentation has begun (bubbles have appeared) but I found that feeding before the bubbles have appeared not only did no harm to the process but also sped it up.
Day one:
50g flour (spelt and rye are good but plain white bread flour will work but take longer to ferment)
50g room temperature water.
Mix this together in your container to form a thick paste/batter without any lumps.
I used my 1/4 cup measuring cup and I filled it to the top with spelt flour, then half filled the same cup with water, this is only a guess but it seemed to be close enough.
Day two:
at the same time as the day before once again 50g of flour and water, mixed.
The first few bubbles started to appear.
Day three:
50g and 50g again (can you see a pattern forming :p)
Now lots of bubbles are appearing and a tangy flavour should be detectable by smell.
A close up of said bubbles
It should now be ready to make a loaf! I am going to try and get back to you
Happy cooking
xoxo




No comments:
Post a Comment